OFFICE OF SECURITY MANAGEMENT
The Office of Security Management (previously known as Security Management Office) started in 1983 in Petaling Jaya campus where the IIUM was first established then. The unit initially had 15 security personnel and was headed by an Assistant Security Officer. Over the years, the Office of Security Management expanded and now has the strengh of 161 personnels covering to three IIUM campuses at Gombak, Petaling Jaya and Kuantan.
However, certain campuses and locations have to be manned by private security because of inadequate personnel to cover all areas. Office of Security Management now is headed by a Director. Apart from conducting regular vehicle and walk patroling on campus, the Office of Security Management also manages the CCTV and Door Access System of the university.
Function of Security Management
- To enforce all rules and regulations, which apply to staff, students, visitors and workers on the campuses.
- To provide safety on the campuses, including issuing traffic summons and compound on traffic offences.
- To monitor, investigate and prevent criminal cases.
- To arrest and detain intruders.
- To assist in students activities by providing safety and order.
- To assist the Disciplinary Authority.
- To inform Deans of the Kulliyyahs and Heads of Departments/Centres from time to time about security situations on the campuses.
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
For each country and organizations, security is an important issue and should be given full attention. Certain parties have spent huge capital to ensure peace and harmony exists in the country.
For a conducive atmosphere good infrastructures and sufficient human capital is required. The community will feel peace when safety is assured. Student in the campus especially in IIUM will study in a peaceful environment and parents will not have to worry about their child that will place for many years in the campus. When safety is assured, IIUM staff would work perfectly and can help the university to achieve the vision and mission of IIUM.
This harmonious environment will cause people to smile. However, when their dreams were struck by security concerns they will start to blame the Police force or security management as well. In fact, the problem of security in IIUM, all parties should be involved. Safety issues are not the responsibility of the police force or Security Management solely. IIUM for example, the Kulliyyahs / Centres / Departments / Institutions / Offices / Mahallats are also required to show their responsibilities towards the safety environment.
Therefore to achieve adequate provision, reasonable logistics is necessary such as CCTV and strong fences etc. In this age of modernization and development of technology these elements is very essential because the evil element will always look their opportunity to disturb or interrupt our peaceful environment.
Therefore in IIUM, we always hope to promote to the term “One Step Ahead”. However, this term is not meant to apprehend the criminals alone but this term stressed on proactiveness such as to ensure we have sophisticated CCTV, to always lock the gate at the Female Mahallats, to install fence at the Male Mahallats, to install iron grille at all room at Mahallats and all logistic issues in IIUM.
With the presence of all the above elements, I believe the security issues in IIUM will be guaranteed and the environment will be conducive. All staffs and students are required to provide support to the security authorities in IIUM by complying with the rules and regulations of IIUM such as Disciplinary Rules 2014 and Road Traffic Rules and other laws and regulation. On the other hand, not to destroy the safety and peace environment of the university, do not engage in criminal cases, abusing drugs and not to engage in any illegal association domestically or abroad. Due to that, in consideration of IIUM to become more competitive, IIUM tried to implement the police force element in security management in accordance with the current situation.
Last but not least, I would like to thank the management of IIUM for choosing police officers to lead the security matters in IIUM. With my working experience as a Police Officer for 33 years, I will definitely share my experience for the betterment of IIUM.
I also want to thank the Royal Malaysia Police for giving me the confidence to take responsibility for maintaining the security at IIUM. By this, I respectfully like to hoist the flag of “Sang Saka Biru” in this beloved land of IIUM.
As always propagated by the COMMUNITY POLICING CONCEPT: “Security is Everybody Responsibility”. Let us pray to Allah (s.w.t), so that we will shower our IIUM with His blessings. Inshaa Allah.
SUPT. HJ ABDUL SHUKOR HJ OTHMAN
Office of Security Management
IN ITS EFFORTS TO ESTABLISH A FORCE WHICH WILL BECOME CATALYST TO STABILITY AND HARMONY IN THE CAMPUS, THE SECURITY MANAGEMENT ENDEAVOURED TO :
- Practice the principle of "courteous and Islamic approach in providing an excellent service".
- Enhance professionalism among its personnel.
- Ensure the security personnel are always firm, trustworthy, reliable and respected by the community.
- Exercise all powers and rights based on the provision of the university rules and procedures with full responsibility, transparency, fairness and justice.
TO REALIZE THE VISION, THE SECURITY MANAGEMENT UNDERTAKES :
- Endeavor to reduce the crime rate to a minimum level.
- Endeavor to reduce the traffic problems in the campus.
- Continuously act against all forms of vices.
- Adopt an attitude of more transparent, responsible and ready to serve.
- Ensure all security personnel adhere to IIUM rules and procedures and achieve the objectives of the university.
- Enhance the confidence of IIUM community that our campus is always safe, harmony and peace to stay.
ROLES AND FUNCTIONS OF OSeM
•TO ENSURE SAFETY AND SECURE CAMPUSES
•TO ENFORCE ALL RULES AND REGULATION WHICH APPLY TO IIUM COMMUNITY AND OTHERS
•TO PROVIDE SECURITY AND TRAFFIC SERVICES TO ALL CAMPUSES.
•TO PREVENT ANY MISCONDUCT ACTIVITIES ON IIUM,
•TO BECOME A PART OF FRONT LINER INFORMATION FOR IIUM
•TO PROTECT UNIVERSITY ASSETS
•TO PROVIDE CONSULTATIONS RELATED TO SECURITY MATTERS FOR IIUM
•TO ASSIST KCDIO, MAHALLAH AND OTHERS REGARDING SECURITY AND TRAFFIC MATTERS
•TO INFORM UNIVERSITY AUTHORITY FROM TIME TO TIME ABOUT SECURITY SITUATIONS ON THE CAMPUSES