The Risala : A Treatise on Maliki Fiqh
'Abdullah ibn Abi Zayd al-Qayrawani (310/922 - 386/996)
Translated by Alhaj Bello Mohammad Daura, MA (London)
(Including commentary from ath-Thamr ad-Dani by al-Azhari)
Abu Muhammad 'Abdullah, a Maliki faqih known as "Shaykh al-Faqih"
and "little Malik". He was the head of the Maliki school in Qayrawan. He
wrote ar-Risala and an-Nawadir and several other books.
(His biography in the Tartib al-Madarik)
- What Necessitates Wudu' and Ghusl
- Purity of Water, Place and Clothing
- Wudu' and Cleaning Oneself after the Lavatory
- Wiping over Leather Socks
- Times of the Prayer
- The Adhan
- How to Perform the Prayer
- The Imam
- On various aspects of the prayer
- The sajdas of the Qur'an
- The Travel Prayer
- The Jumu'a Prayer
- The Fear Prayer
- The 'Id Prayers
- The Eclipse Prayer
- The Rain Prayer
- Care and Burial of the Dead
- The Funeral Prayer
- Burial of a Child
- Zakat on Livestock
- Zakat al-Fitr
- Hajj and 'Umra
- Sacrifices, Slaughter of Animals, 'Aqiqa, Hunting
- Oaths and Vows
- Marriage & Divorce
- 'Idda and Maintenance
- Wills and Setting slaves free
- Pre-emption, gifts, alms, endowment, pledge, loan, trust, an
article or thing found, and compulsion.
- Homicide cases and other judgements.
- Judgement and Evidence.
- Summarising some aspects of prayer etc.
- Good Manners, Circumcision, shaving of hair, dressing and such
- Food and Drink.
- Greetings, permission to enter house, confiding in a friend,
reciting the Qur'an, supplication (du'a), remembrance of Allah, and what to do
when embarking on a journey.
- Treatment, a mention of incantation, the evil eye, astrology,
castration, tattoo, mention of dogs, and leniency to slaves.
- Dreams, yawning, sneezing, chess, horse-racing, shooting and
other such things.
(The translation here is not intended to be the final version,
but it is hoped that it will be of some use to those looking
for texts on Maliki fiqh.)