| STAFF | PSYCHOLOGICAL CLINIC | LABORATORY | PROGRAMMES |
Academic programmes and student activities at IIUM are designed to support the University educational philosophy. Psychology programme, too, is designed to equip students with the necessary knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics relevant to the needs of the society and world of work. Given this context, the Department of Psychology at IIUM is proud to offer academic and service activities that are relevant to the needs of diverse stakeholders and the broader community.
As a Department, we were established in 1990 (along with a number of other Human Science departments in the Kulliyyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences) on the fundamental principles of quality teaching and learning, evidence-based practice and scientific research, as well as meaningful interdisciplinary collaboration and sustainable community engagement. We offer a four-year full-time programme of studies leading to the Bachelor of Human Sciences with Honours in Psychology, and postgraduate degrees at the Master and Ph.D. levels. We adhere to the general vision and mission of the University and aim to provide students with knowledge, interpersonal skills, and Islamic values. A unique feature to be found in all the programmes is the Islamisation of knowledge.
Twenty years after its establishment, Psychology at IIUM has produced a huge number of graduates (about 4000 alums). Many regard psychology services as a significant service that could promote personal development, foster potential, and nurture well-being. There is also a growing awareness among people, at all levels in the society, about the need for psychologists; be it general practitioners, policymakers, or researchers. Therefore, it is timely that Psychology should be expanded to benefit the wider community through various types of services.
Psychology and IIUM Mission
- To undertake the special and greatly needed task of reforming the contemporary Muslim mentality and integrating Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences in a positive manner;
- To produce better quality intellectuals, professionals, and scholars by integrating the qualities of faith (iman), knowledge (`ilm), and good character (akhlaq);
- To serve as agents of comprehensive and balanced progress as well as sustainable development in Malaysia and in the Muslim world;
- To promote the concept of Islamisation of human knowledge in teaching, research, consultancy, the dissemination of knowledge, and the development of academic excellence in the university;
- To nurture the quality of holistic excellence, which is imbued with Islamic moral-spiritual values, in the process of learning, teaching, research, consultancy, publication, administration, and student life;
- To exemplify an international community of dedicated intellectuals, scholars, professionals, officers, and workers who are motivated by the Islamic worldview and code of ethics as an integral part of their work culture;
- To enhance intercultural understanding and foster civilizational dialogues in Malaysia as well as across communities and nations;
- To develop an environment that instils commitment for life-long learning and a deep sense of social responsibility among staff and students.
To provide high quality and integrated research, teaching, and learning and consultancy with the aim of improving the quality of life of the Ummah and humanity
To be a leading centre of integrated research, teaching and learning, and consultancy of psychology
We are responding to the external expectations
- in training our students to think critically, analyse things properly, and communicate effectively;
- in conducting research that attends to emerging social milieus;
- in providing the needed psychological services to the community.
We are moving towards becoming a well-structured programme that serves the needs in Malaysia.
Our motivation is to provide value and impact to the stakeholders, to best serve our students, and to adopt ‘Itqan’ at work.