This is a full time and a part-time programme that requires a minimum of 3 years (6 semesters) and 5 years (10 semesters) respectively to complete. The maximum period allowed for the programme is 6 years (12 semesters) for the former and 8 years (16 semesters) for the latter.
Candidates are trained in research methods, Islamisation of human knowledge and a specialised area in history to prepare them for the challenging task of producing original research in the form of a dissertation/thesis. The expected length of the dissertation/thesis is around 80,000 - 100,000 words and it must be written in Arabic. Areas in which the candidates can specialise include theoretical and applied linguistics, syntax, morphology, semantics, lexicography and translation studies.
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the relevant discipline with good grades from institutions recognized by the Senate of the University.
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline or its equivalent with good grades.
- Arabic and English proficiency levels at the following minimum score:
Arabic Placement Test (APT)
TOEFL / IELTS
TOEFL (Paper based): 500
IELTS: Band 5
- A good grade is normally interpreted as a minimum cumulative grade points average (CGPA) of 3.0 on the scale of 4 or its equivalent.
- Candidates are required to provide evidence of English proficiency by submitting their proficiency certificates before the beginning of the programme. If they fail to do so, they will be required to sit for the IIUM-administered English Placement Test (EPT).
- Candidates who fail to obtain the required proficiency but are still interested to join the programme must take pre-sessional English courses at the university's Centre for Languages (CELPAD) or other recognized institutions.