KULLIYYAH OF MEDICINE
Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
Kulliyyah of Medicine,
International Islamic University Malaysia,
Bandar Indera Mahkota Campus,
Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah,
Pahang Darul Makmur
General Tel: +609-5704000
Fax: +609-571 6770
General Email: email@example.com
Dean : firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Director: email@example.com
Senior Assistant Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Secretary: email@example.com
Chief Clerk: firstname.lastname@example.org
Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
The Department of Otolaryngology- Head & Neck Surgery (ORL-HNS) was established in 2002. ORL-HNS is a regional speciality involving both medical and surgical management not only in chronic suppurative otitis media, rhinosinusitis, sore throat or hearing loss, but beyond these disorders. The Department is involved in the management disorders of the facial nerve, cochleo-vestibular disorders such as balance problems, infratemporal fossa or skull base disorders, facial plastics, head & neck tumours, sleep disorders, upper aero digestive tract disorders and oromaxillofacial problems.
The ORL-HNS posting for undergraduate programme is run in one of the three blocks in Year 4 undergraduate medical student programme. During the three months posting, the students will have two weeks attachment in ORL-HNS posting. There will be one week of revision and followed by the examination week.
Some of the mentioned disorders involve multiple disciplines, including audiology, speech therapy, neurosurgery, plastic surgery, and vascular surgery. The aims of this department is to provide excellence and leadership, both local and international, in the field of Otorhinolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery (ORL-HNS) by teaching, providing exemplary clinical practice, and dynamically pursuing relevant researches beneficial to the community, in an environment guided by moral, ethical and spiritual values.
Courses / Academic Programmes
Medical students will have their posting at Department of ORL-HNS on their 4th year. This posting is MED 4402. Here, students are divided into groups which attached to HTAA. Their two weeks attachment in ENT clinic, HTAA and IIUM is on rotation basis. They are required to practice their clinical skills and to carry out clinical work which includes history taking, physical examination, and discussion with lecturers respectively on relevant investigations and treatment. Students will be involved in various activities such as tutorials, seminars, clinicopathology conference, ward rounds, OT sessions, and clinic/ambulatory care.
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
1. Perform a basic ORL-HNS examination with instruments available to a primary care practitioner.
2. Recognise ORL-HNS problems needing specialist attention either on an emergency or elective basis.
3. Perform a proper and complete ear examinations.
4. Explain to the patients common ORL procedures; their indications, contraindications and complications.
5. Apply ORL knowledge in administering initial treatment.
6. Search, read and use journals in writing the reports pertaining to ORL-HNS conditions.
1. Introduction to ORL-HNS
2. Head and neck tumours
3. Otitis media and its complication
4. Phonation and dysphonia
5. Paediatrics in ORL-HNS
6. Allergic Rhinitis
7. Dysphagia and swallowing disorders
8. Masses in head and neck
9. Salivary gland diseases
10. Facial nerve
11. Laryngeal cancer
12. Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA)
15. Emergency in ENT
Undergraduate Postings (Kulliyyah of Medicine)
Year II (MED 2210)
- Oral cavity diseases
- Oropharyngeal diseases
- Nasopharyngeal diseases
Year II (MED 2410)
- Diseases of the ear
- Balance disorders
Year III Elementary Clinics (MED 3111)
- Examination in Otorhinolaryngology
- Examination of oral cavity
- Examination of head & neck region
Year IV (MED 4402) Duration: 2 weeks
- Otorhinolaryngology diseases
- Head & neck surgical diseases
Undergraduate Courses (Kulliyyah of Allied Health Sciences)
Year II (AHA 2162)
- Genetic Hearing Loss
- Syndromic Hearing Loss
Year II (AHA 2262)
- Otological disorders for audiological sciences
- Neurotology disorders for audiological sciences
Undergraduate Courses (Kulliyyah of Nursing)
- Common diseases of Ear, Nose and Throat
- Common diseases of Head and Neck
- Emergency in Otolaryngology- Head & Neck Surgery