Obstetrics & Gynaecology
The department is located on the fourth floor of IIUM Kuantan’s Jalan Hospital Campus (JHC). This building is located next to the Tengku Ampuan Afzan Hospital (HTAA), which is also the main teaching hospital. Major postings are given to Year 3 and Year 5 students; eleven weeks in Year 3 and eight weeks in Year 5 (MED 33111 and MED 5308).
Overview of Undergraduate Curriculum
The curriculum is designed to promote education and training of undergraduates students in the discipline of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. The design is such that students can gain the basic principles of the theory and practice of O&G, and will provide them with a sound grasp of the subject, enabling further development. During the stipulated period in this training, students will be facilitated in the relevant process of knowledge acquisition, develop practical and procedural competence, and attaining the desired attitude required of them. Moral and ethical perspectives are also imbued throughout the training, in alignment with the IIUM and Kuliyyah philosophy.
The eleven weeks in Year 3 is principally an introduction to the subject, with emphasis on history taking, basic examination techniques including that of the breast, making differential diagnoses, formulating basic investigations and exposure to social obstetrics. The eight weeks in Year 5 is mainly a consolidation of the foundation laid in Year 3, with some emphasis in obstetrics problems common in the community.
Objectives of the Curriculum
- Acquire basic understanding of the discipline of O&G with relevance the community
- Understand the principles of O&G as a medical science
- Acquire communication skills for O&G case taking
- Master basic O&G examination techniques
- Develop competence in arriving at a working diagnosis
- Achieve sufficient ability to propose appropriate investigation plans for a given case
- Acquire the ability to propose management plans
- Be able to recognize complicated cases needing further referral to appropriate teams
- Develop comprehension and competence in interpersonal professional relationships and working as a team.
Overview of Masters of O&G (MOG)
This is four- year residency programme where the students will be attached to Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan, Kuantan(training hospital for Kul of Medicine,IIUm) and other hospitals in Malaysia accredited by National Conjoint Board for postgraduate training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
This residency programme is designed to facilitate students to attain a comprehensive knowledge and skill in Obstetrics and Gynaecology practice, thus upon completing the course and passing Conjoint Board examinations, the students are fit to competently function as specialist obstetrician & Gynaecologist.