The paediatric posting addresses issues unique to childhood and adolescence by focusing on human developmental biology, and by emphasizing the impact of family, community and society on child health and well-being.
Additionally, the posting focuses on the impact of disease and its treatment on the developing human, and emphasizes growth and development, principles of health supervision and recognition of common health problems.
The role of the paediatrician in prevention of disease and injury and the importance of collaboration between the paediatrician and other health professionals is stressed. As one of the core disciplines during the clinical year of the medical school, paediatrics shares a common responsibility with internal medicine, obstetrics/gynecology, psychiatry, surgery and other disciplines to teach the knowledge, skills and attitudes basic to the development of a competent general physician.
The paediatric posting experience introduces the student to a unique, complex and challenging field of medicine. It emphasizes those aspects of general paediatrics important for all medical students, and will provide a foundation for students who elect to further study the healthcare of infants, children and adolescents.
Objectives of the programme
- Acquisition of basic knowledge of growth and development (physical, physiologic and psychosocial) and of its clinical application from birth through adolescence
- Development of communication skills that will facilitate the clinical interaction with children, adolescents and their families and thus ensure that complete, accurate data is obtained
- Development of competency in the physical examination of infants, children and adolescents
- Acquisition of knowledge necessary for the diagnosis and initial management of common acute and chronic illnesses
- Development of clinical problem-solving skills
- An understanding of the influence of family, community and society on the child in health and disease
- Development of strategies for health promotion as well as disease and injury prevention
- Development of the attitudes and professional behaviours appropriate for clinical practice
- An understanding of the approach of pediatricians to the health care of children and adolescents
There is in all 19 weeks of paediatric posting during the clinical years: 11 weeks during the third year and 8 weeks during the fifth year. Students’ clinical posting will be at the paediatric wards in Hospital Tengku Ampuan Afzan, Kuantan and Hospital Temerloh about 150 km from Kuantan.
Extensive teaching will be provided during the course with emphasis on bedside teachings in addition to participating in teaching conferences and clinical ward rounds. In year three, the emphasis will be on clinical skills and understanding of the basic pathophysiology of paediatric diseases. In the fifth year, in addition to the above patient management aspects, students are introduced to neonatology as well as.