FRGS Research Project Award
Associate Professor Dr. Ramli Musa
M.D., M.Med. (Psychiatry) (UKM)
FRGS Research Topic: The Need for and Designing a New Asian Family Scale
All available family scales are designed for western countries and there is no validated family scale which is specifically devised for Asian population. The difference in culture and family values warrants the formulation of a specific Asian family scale to cater the regional needs. Intensifying social related problems among children and adolescents is another indication that an exploration on family environment is essential. The objectives are to devise and validate a new family scale (English & Malay versions) for the Malaysian population.
Method: The development of the questionnaire can be divided into 6 stages; identifying the domains of Asian family values, items identification for each domain and language review, pretest the pre-final version, pilot study and validation. Respondents were recruited from different ethnic groups and cultural backgrounds to represent the Malaysian population. They were selected by using stratified quota sampling from various health centres in Malaysia.
Results: Total Cronbach’s alpha values of 0.9 with 5 domains were identified by using explanatory factor analysis. From 43 items, 67% had good factor loading (>0.4) and 13 items were finally dropped. The 5 identified domains are namely Togetherness/Harmony (factor 1), Expression (factor 2), Relationship & Family dynamic (factor 3), Conflict (factor 4) and Religiosity & Traditional Practice (factor 5).
Conclusion: This new scale has good psychometric properties and it is a valid family scale for Malaysians
AMOUNT AWARDED: RM 80,000
Research grant awarded by the Primeasia University, Bangladesh.
The RM20,000.00 funding to support research entitled “Ambispective Nested Case-referent Clinical Epidemiological Study of Dementia and Its Determinants.”
1) Assoc. Prof. Dr. Seikh Farid Uddin Akter (Principal Researcher) – Kulliyyah of Medicine
2) Prof. Dr. Mohammad Fauzi Abdul Rani (Co-Researcher) – Kulliyyah of Medicine
3) Assoc. Prof. Dr. Jamalludin Ab. Rahman (Co-Researcher) – Kulliyyah of Medicine
4) Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mohd. Aznan Md. Aris (Co-Researcher) – Kulliyyah of Medicine
Other researchers include:
1) Dr. Muhammad Taher (Co-Researcher) – Kulliyyah of Pharmacy
2) Dr. Muhammad Muzaffar Ali Khan Khattak (Co-Researcher) – Kulliyyah of Allied Health Sciences
3) Dr. Phang Ing Chia (Co-Researcher) – Kulliyyah of Science
Approved Technofund Funding (Industry as Main Applicant):
Exploratory research Grant Scheme (ERGS) Phase I/2011:
1. Ailin Razali, Dr.
Title: Exploration on a New Ear Protective Device with Selective Noise Attenuation.