KULLIYYAH OF ENGINEERING
Mission and Vision
Mission and Vision
IIUM Vision Statement
The University aims at becoming a leading international centre of educational excellence which seeks to restore the dynamic and progressive role of the Muslim Ummah in all branches of knowledge and intellectual discourse.
IIUM Mission Statement
Towards actualizing the University's vision, IIUM endeavours seven missions that are:
- To undertake the special and greatly needed task of reforming the contemporary Muslim mentality and integrating Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences in a positive manner.
- To produce better quality intellectuals, professionals and scholars by integrating the qualities of faith (iman), knowledge (`ilm), and good character (akhlaq) to serve as agents of comprehensive and balanced progress as well as sustainable development in Malaysia and in the Muslim world.
- To foster the Islamicisation of the ethics of Muslim academic and administrative staff of IIUM, and certain aspects of human knowledge - particularly in the social sciences and humanities - with the view to making them more useful and more relevant to the Muslim Ummah.
- To nurture the quality of holistic excellence which is imbued with Islamic moral-spiritual values, in the process of learning, teaching, research, consultancy, publication, administration and student life.
- To exemplify an international community of dedicated intellectuals, scholars, professionals, officers and workers who are motivated by the Islamic world-view and code of ethics as an integral part of their work culture.
- To enhance intercultural understanding and foster civilization dialogues in Malaysia as well as across communities and nations.
- To develop an environment that instills commitment for life-long learning and a deep sense of social responsibility among staff and students.
Kulliyyah of Engineering Vision Statement
A Global Centre of Innovative Engineering Education and Research with Values and Professional Ethics.
Kulliyyah of Engineering Mission Statement
To be a Referral Hub for Engineering Education and Sustainable Solutions Based on Islamic Principles for a Better World.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
A Graduate is expected to achieve one or more of the following program educational objectives.
- Graduates who advance in career and professional standing nationally or internationally based on leadership and/or technical expertise.
- Graduates who demonstrate moral and professional commitment for the betterment of society.
- Graduates who engage in entrepreneurial activities that apply engineering knowledge and technical skills.
- Graduates who engage in life long learning through postgraduate education and/or continuous professional development.
Program Outcomes (POs)
Students graduated from the Kulliyyah of Engineering programmes should have the ability to:
1. Engineering Knowledge (T) - Apply knowledge of mathematics, sciences, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems;
2. Problem Analysis (T) – Identify, formulate, research relevant literature and analyze complex engineering problems, and reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences;
3. Design/Development of Solutions (A) – Design solutions, exhibiting innovativeness, for complex engineering problems and design systems, components or processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, economical, ethical, environmental and sustainability issues;
4. Investigation (D) - Conduct investigation into complex problems, displaying creativeness, using research-based knowledge, and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of information to provide valid conclusions;
5. Modern Tool Usage (A & D) - Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools, including prediction and modelling, to complex engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations;
6. The Engineer and Society (ESSE) - Apply reasoning informed by contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional engineering practice and solutions to complex engineering problems;
7. Environment and Sustainability (ESSE) - Understand and evaluate the sustainability and impact of professional engineering work in the solutions of complex engineering problems in societal and environmental contexts;
8. Ethics (ESSE) – Apply professional ethics with Islamic values and commit to responsibilities and norms of professional engineering code of practices;
9. Communication (S) - Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions;
10. Individual and Team Work (S) - Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multi-disciplinary settings;
11. Life Long Learning (S) - Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change
12. Project Management and Finance (S) - Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering management and financial principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and/or leader in a team, to manage projects in multidisciplinary settings, and identify opportunities of entrepreneurship.
The program learning outcomes are grouped into 5 general areas to identify the nature of the skills and capability involved. These groups are:
- Technical (T) – essential capabilities related to traditional scientific and engineering knowledge
- Analysis (A) – creatively working with available data and engineering tools and fundamental knowledge to correctly solve basic problem
- Design (D) – being able to perceive the best solution for both small scale and large scale project by involving all required basic problems
- Ethics, Safety, Society and Environment (ESSE) - giving appropriate consideration to matters pertaining to professionalism and ethics, safety, local and global society and the environment
- Work skills (S) – being and effective communicator and effective member of a team and to appreciate the need to continuously acquired skills and abilities.