Master of Science in Accounting
The Kulliyyah of Economics and Management Sciences seeks to prepare students with the necessary knowledge and Islamic values to face the increasingly challenging world. It offers students the unique opportunity of integrating conventional knowledge with Islamic knowledge in all fields of studies. Established in 1983, the Kulliyyah is now well recognised, having faculty members of eminence in various specialisations. It is also equipped with the state-of-the-art facilities to promote teaching and learning.
English is the medium of instruction for all programmes offered by the Kulliyyah. Currently, there are four departments offering various programmes, namely the Department of Economics, the Department of Business Administration, the Department of Accounting, and the Department of Finance.
The Department of Accounting offers the Master of Science (Accounting) to provide graduate studies in Accounting which combines both conventional and Islamic aspects; to produce experts who are competent in both conventional and Islamic accounting; to encourage further research in Accounting which incorporates the Islamic perspective and to generate experts who are able to formulate Islamically desirable policies in line with the rapidly changing Accounting environment. The department’s greatest strength is in the areas of Islamic Accounting, Accounting Ethics, Social and Environmental Accounting, Zakat Accounting, Taxation, Financial Reporting, Management Accounting and Public Sector Accounting.
MODE OF PROGRAMME
12 credit hours of coursework + 28 credit hours of dissertation
(4 core courses + 28 credit hours of dissertation)
AREAS OF SPECIALISATION*
- Accounting and Governance for Islamic Institutions
- Tax Compliance and Tax Administration
- Social and Environmental Accounting
- Islamic Auditing
- Accounting for Intellectual Capital
- Financial Reporting and Regulation
- Corporate Governance and Disclosure
- New Public Financial Management
- Risk Reporting and Management in Islamic Banks
* Subject to availability of supervisors
The Master of Science (Accounting) programme comprises 40 credits hours.
Contemporary Issues in Accounting
Accounting Research Methods
Once a student has presented a research proposal which is approved by the Department, the student may proceed with his/her research work under the supervision of the assigned supervisor(s),
DURATION OF STUDIES
1 ½ academic years
2 academic years
3 academic years
2 academic years
4 academic years
5 academic years
A relevant Bachelor’s degree with good grades from an accredited institution of higher learning or any other certificates recognised to be equivalent to a Bachelor's degree and with relevant professional experience.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the Kulliyyah requirements, an applicant must produce satisfactory proof of proficiency of English Language by:
- The Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550 or
- The International English Language Testing Services (IELTS) with a score of 6.0 or
- The IIUM-administered English Placement Test (EPT) with a minimum score 6.0.
Deputy Dean (Postgraduate)
Kulliyyah of Economics and Management Sciences
International Islamic University Malaysia
P.O. Box 10, 50728 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel : 603-6421 4775 / 4634 / 4778
Fax : 603-6421 4850
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
* All information is correct at the time of publication. All requirements are subject to amendment by the Management of International Islamic University Malaysia.