The programme is of four (4) years duration and incorporates a substantial amount of guided clinical practice in hospitals and health care settings as well as a range of campus-based theoretical and laboratory-based teaching/learning activities.
The introduction of the Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) programme was approved by the IIUM Board of Studies on the 10 January 2002, IIUM Senate on 24 March 2004 and Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia (MOHE) in 15 June 2004. The curriculum of this programme obtained the approval from the Nursing Baord Malaysia in 3 August 2006. And, Public Service Department of Malaysia in 12 June 2008 approved certification of Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) from IIUM as equivalent as other Bachelor offered.
GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- A first grade in Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM)
- A minimum of C5 in Bahasa Inggeris
- A minimum of C5 in Pendidikan Islam
- Credits in four (4) science and mathematic subjects
- Modern mathematics
- Additional mathematics
Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- Three (3) principals pass in Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM); OR
- Three (3) principals pass in the GCE ‘A” Level examination; OR
- Any other qualification that is recognized by the IIUM Senates as equivalent to the above.
i) Admission for Working Malaysian
Working Malaysians and others who undertake part-time studies to obtain open STPM/ HSC certificates may apply for admission under a special category of candidates. They must have accumulated enough credits or passes at principal level in STPM/ HSC/ GCE O-level, provided that these credits or principal passes have been accumulated from within a period not exceeding five (5) years. A minimum of three (3) credits or principal passes may qualify a candidate to apply provided that he or she possesses a normal SPM/ GCE O-level, and a certification of proficiency in English and a letter of recommendation from his or her employer.
ii) Requirement for Direct Admission to the Second or Third Year
1. Having Diploma in Nursing with CGPA (Cumulative Grade Point Average) of not less than 3.00 or other grade point of its equivalence, and
2. Having enough credit hours to be transferred to the second or third year whichever applicable, and
3. Registered with the Malaysian Nursing Board, and
4. In special circumstances, the admission requirement will be at the discretion of the Kulliyyah of Nursing and the University’s Senate
English is the primary medium of instruction. All students should have a score of at least 550 in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 6.0 points in the International English Language Testing Services (IELTS) or English Placement Test (EPT)
1. Satisfying the Senate that the candidate is proficient in English.
2. Under special circumstances, a candidate may have to appear for an interview and /or undergo such tests as may be determined by the Senate.
3. Provide evidence on the prescribed University Form of a satisfactory standard of health.
4. Satisfy the Senate of his or her preparedness to follow his or her program of study in accordance with university’s Islamic Philosophy.
5. Fulfill such as other conditions as may be laid down by the University from time to time.