The Office of Security Management (previously known as Security Management Office) started in 1983 in Petaling Jaya campus where the IIUM was first established then. The unit initially had 15 security personnel and was headed by an Assistant Security Officer. Over the years, the Office of Security Management expanded and now has the strengh of 161 personnels covering to three IIUM campuses at Gombak, Petaling Jaya and Kuantan.
However, certain campuses and locations have to be manned by private security because of inadequate personnel to cover all areas. Office of Security Management now is headed by a Director. Apart from conducting regular vehicle and walk patroling on campus, the Office of Security Management also manages the CCTV and Door Access System of the university.
Function of Security Management
- To enforce all rules and regulations, which apply to staff, students, visitors and workers on the campuses.
- To provide safety on the campuses, including issuing traffic summons and compound on traffic offences.
- To monitor, investigate and prevent criminal cases.
- To arrest and detain intruders.
- To assist in students activities by providing safety and order.
- To assist the Disciplinary Authority.
- To inform Deans of the Kulliyyahs and Heads of Departments/Centres from time to time about security situations on the campuses.