CENTRE FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDIES
PG Policies and Procedures
Centre for Postgraduate Studies
International Islamic University Malaysia
Level 2, Muhammad Abdul Rauf Building
P.O. Box 10, 50728 Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA
Tel : +603 6421 4994 / 4995
Fax :+603 6421 4163
Centre for Postgraduate Studies (Kuantan Campus),
Level 1, Office of The Campus Director,
IIUM Kuantan Campus,
Bandar Indera Mahkota
25200 Kuantan, Pahang
Tel : +09 570 4302
General Administration : email@example.com
International admission : firstname.lastname@example.org
Local admission: email@example.com
Registration Unit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Examination Unit: email@example.com
Student Affairs: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Kuantan Campus :firstname.lastname@example.org
Mon - Thur : 8.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m.
: 2.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m.
Fri : 8.00a.m. - 12.15 p.m.
: 2.45 p.m. - 5.00 p.m.
updated on Jan, 2020
PG Policies and Procedures
IIUM has established the standard thesis manual guideline for Postgraduate Students.
The following is the template to simplify the student's thesis writing process.
AMENDMENT OF GUIDELINE
Some amendments for Arabic Thesis Preparation
APA and CHICAGO Formats
ARABIC THESIS TEMPLATE
As of May 2015
ENGLISH THESIS TEMPLATE
As of December 2016
GUIDELINES FOR THESIS FORMAT
|Some essential guidelines in checking the thesis formating||DOWNLOAD|
|6||WORD LIMIT FOR THESIS & DESERTATION (MASTER/PHD) AND RESEARCH PAPER (MASTER)||-||DOWNLOAD|
GUIDELINES FOR THESIS FORMAT (ARABIC)
SAMPLE OF THESIS FORMAT (ARABIC)
LIST OF CONTACTS FOR THESIS FORMATTING SERVICES :-
1. MOHAMMAD SHEKAIB ALAM (G1719858)
PHD POLITICAL SCIENCE (KIRKHS)
TEL NO. : 011 6232 4035
CITIZENSHIP : INDIAN
2. AHMED BARIERIE (G1616571)
PHD LIBRARY SCIENCE
TEL NO. : 014 931 1470
CITIZENSHIP : SIERRA LEONE
(This services for facilitation only. It has no affiliation what so ever to CPS)
IIUM CODE OF SUPERVISION FOR POSTGRADUATE THESIS AND DISSERTATION
This code of supervision sets out the policy of IIUM on responsibilities and good practice in all matters concerning postgraduate students' supervision.
This code should be read in conjunction with the IIUM Code of Ethics for Academic Staff and Students, (displinary Staff) Rules 2005, the Student Disciplinary Rules 2004 (Amended 2006) and the Policies on Academic Integrity.
The code lays down supervisory responsibilities that included commitment, consistency in managing and monitoring supervisee; maintaining ethical supervisor-supervisee relationship and interaction; and continuously engaged in developing oneself professionally.
A guideline on the scope of the Master and PhD programme in IIUM is as the following:
>th >Dissertation Structure>th >Publication
|TYPE OF PROGRAMME|
|Description||Coursework & Dissertation||Research Only|
|Programme Structure||A minimum of XX Crdt hrs. of coursework + Produce a dissertation on the research||Produce a thesis on the research||Produce a thesis on the research|
|Research Structure||>td |
|Dissertation does not exceed 50,000 words excluding footnote and etc.||>td |
|As deemed by Kulliyyah||As deemed by Kulliyyah||As deemed by Kulliyyah|
|Appointment of Examiners||At least 2 internal examiners||At least 2 examiners, one of whom must be an external examiner||At least 2 examiners, one of whom must be an external examiner. The external examiner should be either full Professor or of Associate Professor or an expert in the area of research from Industry|
|Ideal Duration of Assessment||±3 weeks to return assessment reports||±4 weeks to return assessment reports||±6 weeks to return assessment reports|
(Refer to Article 7 of Postgraduate Regulations, Revised 2015 on Procedures for Dealing with Plagiarism)
Students' Discipline Rules 2004 (Amendment 2006), Rule No. 8 (1), General Discipline: Prohibition against plagiarism has clearly stated that:
A student shall not plagiarise any idea or intellectual property expressed in material form, writing or data, of another person and claimed that the work, writing, data or invention is the result of his/her own findings or invention or any intellectual property right.
- In relation to this, the university has came out with a computerized tool in ensuring the academic papers written by students are free from plagiarism. The tool is expected to assist academic staff to prevent plagiarism among students.
- The details of the above software are as follows:
Kindly contact the following for the access into "turnitin":-
Name : Zunika binti Osman
Contact No : 03-6196 5207
e-mail : email@example.com
STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES
Below are the Standard Operating Procedures for various processes in CPS:-
- NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT OF EXAMINERS MASTER’S (MIXED MODE)
- NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT OF EXTERNAL EXAMINERS MASTER’S (RESEARCH ONLY)
- NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT OF EXTERNAL EXAMINERS (PHD)
IIUM Guide to Students on the Copyright of Thesis
The general condition of this copyright is that the thesis / dissertation is produced as part of the student’s course of study at IIUM. However, the detailed conditions are listed below:
Thesis/ dissertation copyright owner
Any of the conditions below:
1. The student is self-sponsored.
2. The research and thesis / dissertation is fully-funded by the student
3. The research does not involve substantial use of institutional resources and/or services beyond the common provision.
International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM)
1. The student is fully sponsored by IIUM or the Malaysian government.
2. The research and thesis / dissertation is fully-funded by IIUM or the Malaysian government.
3. The research is a sponsored project such as FRGS, RMGS, Bio-Science etc.
- The student is working as a team member on a project that derives from the intellectual property of academic staff or involves substantial collaboration with academic staff.
Joint ownership between student and IIUM**
1. The student is partially sponsored by IIUM or the Malaysian government.
2. The research involves substantial use of institutional resources and/or services beyond the common provision.
- E.g. The University makes special purchases of equipment or materials for the project where these purchases are not included in the student’s ‘bench fee’.
Joint ownership between student and other third parties*
1. The student is sponsored by a third party.
2. The student secures a project which is sponsored by a third party abroad and implements it in the University.
* Student is advised to check the terms of his/her sponsorship agreement prior to the commencement of the project or programme of study.
** In the case when the work is co-owned, it will be for the whole copyright duration i.e. lifetime plus fifty years after the death of the student author.
- This Guide must be read together with the IIUM Policies and Guidelines for Intellectual Property Rights & Commercialisation.
- Students must be aware of these conditions at the initial stage of their enrolment. This shall be the responsibility of the Deputy Dean PG at the respective kulliyyahs and the supervisors.
Effective from 2014/15 session, all PHD students (Matric No. G141 xxxx) are required to publish at least one (1) paper in a journal prescribed by the respective Kulliyahs upon submission of their theses to the Centre for Postgraduate Studies (CPS).
The journal article is to be based on your thesis.
Therefore, you are advised to plan ahead and get the proper guidance and advise from your supervisor(s) and Kulliyah on this matter.
updated on January, 2019
Guidelines on Writing Research Proposal
All research proposals must address the nature of your study, questions of what you plan to accomplish and why you want to and how you are going to do it. There are no specific rules governing the form and content of a research proposal. They will vary depending on the unique nature of the problem to be studied. Yet it is advisable to pay attention to the following step-wise outline for preparing a research proposal. A good research proposal should be clear, concise and coherent.
A proposal is likely to contain most of the elements listed in the table below:
Contain keywords that describe your study. Should demonstrate the main focus/theme of the proposed project or a short statement of what you want to investigate. Must be concise and descriptive.
Objectives/Aims of research
Summarize the problem you intend to solve and your solution to that problem. State thecontributions that you want to make with the intended study.
The problem statement
State the problems involved in the research and the problem(s) that you are exploring. Also present the rationale of the entire study.
Statement of other research that have been done in this area. Also link your work to the work of others in the same or related fields. References to key texts and recently published articles should be made. You should be able to demonstrate that your proposed area is not a duplication of work done earlier and should contain an element of originality.
Describe the way that you intend to approach the research question(s) and the techniques and logic that you will use to address it.This should include the ways in which you will gather data and the research plan including the research design, experimental procedures and statistical analysis.
Indicate roughly how you would allocate the time for doing the research project over the duration of your studies. It is a guide so that you can monitor your own progress and manage your project effectively.
Significance/ Expected outcomes of the study
Outline the anticipated benefits of conducting the research.
Publication details of literature cited. Referencing system should be consistent which contain the names of authors, name of book/journal, year of publication, the volume, the issue and page number.
A research proposal is usually around 4500 to 6000 words (about 15-20 pages, double-spaced, Times New Roman, font 12). It must be of adequate length to address the question of what you plan to accomplish and why you want to and how you are going to do it. For other basic technical requirements (i.e footnote styles, quotations, reference format, layout of tables and figures), students are advised to consult The IIUM Thesis/Dissertation Manual.
POSTGRADUATE REGULATIONS (REVISED 2015)
AMENDMENTS TO THE PG REGULATIONS 2015 (ENDORSED BY SENATE)
rbk, updated on Sept, 2020