INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ISLAMIC THOUGHT AND CIVILISATION (ISTAC-IIUM)
Welcome to the
International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilisation (ISTAC), lnternational Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM), Kuala Lumpur.
is dedicated to engaging in advanced-level study and research about Islamic thought and civilisation at the national and global levels, with the goal to nurture comparative, cultural, and civilisational studies that is devoted to the renewal of Islam and human civilisation.
has an international level of scholars and academics with expertise in Islamic thought and civilisation and world-recognised research contributions in its niche areas of specialisation. Its library is one of the best, with valuable manuscripts in Malay, Arabic, Ottoman Turkish, Persian, and Urdu languages. There is plenty of opportunities for research in manuscript studies.
RAMADHAN ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTIVITIES
FROM MASJID ZABEDAH
FROM SYED MUHAMAMD NAQUIB AL-ATTAS LIBRARY
RECENT BOOK LAUNCH
Tanah Air, Passing Through The Malay Archipelago
by Professor Dato' Dr. Ahmad Murad Merican
Professor Dato' Dr. Ahmad Murad Merican with his newest book entitled Tanah Air, Passing Through The Malay Archipelago, published by ISTAC-IIUM Publications. Launched at the KL Alternative Book Fest 2023 on the 25th of February 2023.
Tanah Air discourse offers a fresh way of looking at how civilisations in the world interact with one another and how this interaction contributes to the emergence of cosmopolitanism in the Nusantara. Congratulations to Professor Dato' Dr. Ahmad Murad Merican for the publication of the new book.
1st ISTAC FORUM
THE MADANI FRAMEWORK FOR CIVILISATIONAL DEVELOPMENT: WISDOM, INNOVATION AND COMPASSION
DATE : 27 February 2023
TIME : 2.30-5.00pm
LOCATION: Ibn Khaldun Conference Room, ISTAC-IIUM (Hybrid Session)
- Emeritus Professor Datuk Dr. Osman Bakar, Holder of Al-Ghazali and Epistemological Chair ISTAC-IIUM.
- Datuk Seri Dr. Mujahid Rawa, Former Minister of the Malaysian Prime Minister Department.
- Professor Datuk Dr. Azizan Baharuddin, Director of the Centre for Civilisational Dialogue, University of Malaya.
Professor Dr. Abdul Aziz Berghout, Dean of ISTAC-IIUM.
Watch 1st ISTAC Forum on YouTube:
Main objectives of ISTAC-IIUM’s programmes
(1) ISTAC-IIUM advancing the Cause of Renewal of Islamic Thought & Civilisation for Global Relevance.
(2) Nurturing Quality & value-driven Scholars and graduates for balanced civilisational development.
(3) Positioning ISTAC-IIUM as a Leading Centre of transformation and knowledge creation and application for societal sustainable development.
(4) Championing responsible integrated research (Inter-multi & transdisciplinary).
(5) Advancing Malay world Islamic Civilisation Studies.
(6) Leading in spiritual, cultural & civilisational integrated niche area
ISTAC-IIUM’s niche areas
(1) Islamic Thought, Civilization and Sustainable Development
(2) Epistemology, Spirituality and Intellectuality in Islamic Civilisation
(3) Religious and Comparative Civilizational Studies
(4) Malay‐Islamic Civilisation and the Modern World
(5) Peace and Security Studies from a Civilizational Perspective
(6) Islam, Family and Gender Studies