Research activities in KICT are coordinated by the Head of Research's office, which was established in 1991 with an objective to promote research activities within the University, and to disseminate research findings through publications, consulting services, training programmes, seminars and other electronic and print media.
There are several research grants and funding provided by the University and Government in order to promote the research culture in the university and in the country. For further details please refer to the Research Center as part of the Kulliyyah's Strategic Plan (2003-2010), KICT promotes research culture among its members.
Our researchers are aiming for larger-scale research grants and trying to seek collaborations with other Kulliyyahs and institutions, journal and book publications, seminars as well as active involvement of postgraduate students. KICT has established 8 research groups with the major objective to promote research activities at the Kulliyyah.
Deputy Dean Postgraduate Office,
Block A, Level 2, Kulliyyah of ICT, International Islamic University Malaysia, 53100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Welcome to the Responsible Research and Innovation Office.
The Responsible Research and Innovation Office supports research efforts conducted by KICT researchers in solving challenges problems and at the same time producing innovative and sustainable products. We work closely with Research Management Centre (RMC) in various tasks involving the grants initiatives, grants management, research development skills, innovation and commercialisation, and research seminars. We are committed to ensure all research and development activities realising the University’s aspirations and competitiveness locally and globally.
Currently we have established 13 research groups in different niche that works on interdisciplinary research and collaborate with local as well as international industries and agencies. The research and development are aligned with the Islamisation, Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) and Sejahtera Academic Framework (SAF). We also have established 2 indexed journals which are International Journal on Perceptive and Cognitive Computing (IJPCC) and Journal of Information Systems and Digital Technologies (JISDT). These journals receive quality articles from local and international authors. Besides aiming for a high-impact products, the research works, and collaborative linkages is hopefully benefiting the nation and the Ummah.
This research area attempts to develop understanding of human perception and provides insight through sentiment analysis in computing. It includes developments of theories, methodologies, techniques and practices. It is inspired through understanding and intuition in the use of natural language processing, context analysis, and computational linguistic to identify and extract subjective information in source materials. Research may explore into profiling and modeling user behavior based on context analysis in the technology such as social media e.g use of text and emoticon in facebook and twitter. Research conducted in this area deals with human behavior and cognition, Socio-technical issues, Affection, human centered design, social media and interaction.
1. To promote high quality research in the area of perceptive and sentiment computing centered towards psychological and sociological concerns.
2. To facilitate and support research, publications, innovation, communication and dissemination of knowledge in the area of perceptive and sentiment computing.
3. To support and uphold the vision and mission of IIUM research objectives i.e. inculcate Islamization of human knowledge, produce outstanding researchers.
1. Asst. Prof. Dr. Marini Othman
2. Asst. Prof. Dr. Hamwira Sakti Yaacob
3. Asst. Prof. Dr. Zaliza Md Nor 4. Asst. Prof. Dr. Raini Hassan 5. Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr. Normi Sham Awang 6. Prof. Dr. Imad Fakhri Taha Alyaseen 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Rizal Md Nor 8. Asst. Prof. Dr. Mohd Syarqawy Hamzah 9. Asst. Prof. Dr. Muhamad Sadry Abu Seman
Perceptive and Pervasive Computing for Brain Development Group (PCBDG)
Asst. Prof. Dr. Zaliza Md Nor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. To promote research in the area of cognitive and biosignal processing.
2. To facilitate and support research, publications, and innovation in the area of cognitive and biosignal processing.
3. To produce and support outstanding researchers who are responsible, mindful and Collaborative, as guided by IIUM core values.
4. To support and uphold the vision and mission of IIUM research objectives.
1. Prof. Dr. Abdul Wahab Abdul Rahman
2. Prof. Dr. Imad Fakhri Taha
3. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Murni Mahmud
4. Asst. Prof. Dr. Hamwira Sakti Yaacob
5. Asst. Prof. Dr. Marini Othman
6. Asst. Prof. Dr. Maznah Ahmad 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Raini Hassan
1. To understand students’ behaviours and cognitive processes in learning, and design effective learning tools.
2. To engage students in Information technology by enhancing learning environment through the latest development of instructional technologies such as visual aid, robotic applications, multimedia learning tools and games.
3. To promote multidisciplinary research collaboration through knowledge exchange and training sessions.
1. Prof. Dato’. Dr. Norbik Bashah Idris 2. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Norsaremah Salleh 3. Asst. Prof. Dr. Zainatul Shima Abdullah 4. Asst. Prof. Dr. Muhamad Sadry Abu Seman 5. Asst. Prof. Ts. Dr. Mohd Izzuddin Mohd Tamrin 6. Asst. Prof. Dr. Siti Asma Mohammed 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Noor Azizah Mohamadali 8. Asst. Prof. Dr. Nurul Nuha Abdul Molok 9. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Lili Marziana Abdullah
10. Asst. Prof. Dr. Suhaila Samsuri
This group aims to integrate the efforts of the individuals in exploring the following areas: 1. To promote the Philosophy of ICT and Islam and develop the policy in ICT from Islamic Perspective
2. To establish the standards and Islamic fundamentals in the various fields of ICT (i.e. Theories & Fundamentals). The main Islamic principles should be taken as guidelines for laying the foundation of an Islamic code of practice in Software Development. 3. The use of lCT for the benefit of Muslim Ummah and entire humankind. Thus, to ensure that the Applications will promote Maslahah not Mafsadah. This ICT and Islam will open new doors for Da'wah, and help researchers, students and users to be able to link the Islamic values with ICT fundamentals and applications.
1. Prof. Dr. Roslina Othman 2. Prof. Dr. Mohamed Ridza Wahiddin 3. Prof. Dr. Imad Fakhri Taha Alyaseen 4. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Akram MZM Khedher 5. Asst. Prof. Dr. Aznan Zuhid Saidin 6. Asst. Prof. Dr. Noor Hasrul Nizan 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Adamu Abubakar Ibrahim 8. Asst. Prof. Dr. Hazwani Mohd Mohadis 9. Br. Muhd Rosydi Muhammad
1. To carry out research projects and consultancy services on Semantic Body of Knowledge and Technology involving Islamic content knowledge-base or pool.
2. To offer trainings, workshops and consultancy series on Semantic and Knowledge Technologies and Islamic Knowledge base.
3. To address critical issues related to wisdom and semantic based search engine, QA system, KM portal, Islamic Knowledge base.
4. To construct ontology and develop methods and tools unique to Islamic Knowledge Base, opinion mining and social network analysis over the cloud and grid computing.
1. Prof. Dr. Mohamad Fauzan Noordin 2. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Akram MZM Khedher 3. Asst. Prof. Ts. Dr. Zahidah Zulkifli 4. Asst. Prof. Dr. Ahmad Fatzilah Misman 5. Asst. Prof. Dr. Madihah S. Abd Aziz 6. Asst. Prof. Ts. Dr. Mohd Izzudin Mohd Tamrin 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Afidalina Tumian 8. Asst. Prof. Dr. Hafizah Mansor 9. Asst. Prof. Dr. Hazwani Mohd Mohadis
10. Asst. Prof. Dr. Siti Asma Mohamed
11. Asst. Prof. Dr. Noor Azizah Mohamadali
12. Asst. Prof. Ts. Dr. Noor Hayani Abd Rahim
13. Asst. Prof. Dr. Nurul Liyana Mohamad Zulkufli
14. Mdm. Nor Azizan Mohamad Ali
1. This Research Unit is part of the Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Cyber Security, a collaboration between the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) and Cyber Security Malaysia (CSM).
2. Research areas include Network Security, Malwares, Cryptography, Quantum Computing & Quantum Information, Digital Forensics, Risk Management and Cyber Security Policies
1. Prof. Dr. Mohamed Ridza Wahiddin
2. Prof. Dr. Imad Fakhri Taha 3. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Akram Zeki 4. Asst. Prof. Dr. Nurul Nuha Abdul Molok 5. Asst. Prof. Dr. Shuhaili Talib 6. Asst. Prof. Dr. Hafizah Mansor 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Rizal Md Nor 8. Asst. Prof. Dr. Aznan Zuhid Saidin 9. Asst. Prof. Dr. Sharyar Wani
10. Br. Jamaluddin Ibrahim
11. Br. Abdul Rahman Dahlan
12. Asst. Prof. Dr. Andi Fitriah Abdul Kadir
The rise of new media channels (such as the Internet, mobile devices, and social networking sites) has created opportunities as well as challenges to individuals, organizations, and the society at large. Individuals use and engage with social media for diverse purposes such as co-creation, entertainment, mentoring, networking, friendship, career advancement, learning, collective action and civic engagement. Organizations also experiment with various social platforms to improve performance through crowdsourcing, online collaboration and communication, online communities, mobile computing and social media services.
These challenges and changes give rise to novel and important research questions, which attract a strong interest among scholars. A wide range of research methods, such as qualitative and quantitative approaches, social network analysis, data mining, sentiment analysis or design research have been applied to explore and explain social media related phenomena. Further, social media facilitate users to create, cooperate, and share content. Through capturing social media data and applying novel methods such as decision making models, design frameworks, group behavior elicitation (e.g. herding effects), and opinion/sentiment mining, business intelligence and actionable decision making can be obtained.
The major aim of this research unit is to support and facilitate scholars to validate research ideas related to social media. It also aims to raise awareness in terms of the latest development in social technologies, to address the opportunities and challenges associated with the use of social media by individuals, organizations, and the contemporary society. This unit is open to all types of research, conceptual or empirical.
1. Asst. Prof. Dr. Muhamad Sadry Abu Seman 2. Asst. Prof. Dr. Noor Azizah Mohamadali 3. Asst. Prof. Dr. Asma Md Ali 4. Asst. Prof. Dr. Mohd Syarqawy Hamzah 5. Asst. Prof. Dr. Madihah S Abd Aziz 6. Asst. Prof. Ts. Dr. Zahidah Zulkifli 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Ahmad Fatzilah Misman 8. Asst. Prof. Dr. Muna Azuddin 9. Asst. Prof. Dr. Shuhaili Talib
10. Asst. Prof. Dr. Hazwani Mohd Mohadis
Information systems continue to be a major force in the management of organizations, with the potential to transform the very nature of human activity. With the growth in the usage of the Internet and the impact of globalization, major new challenges are opening up which have the potential to create new ways of tackling established approaches to management.
This research group aims to coordinate all research work in the area of IT and organizational applications and its management, as well as the use and impact of IT at the country & societal level. The research themes include (though not exhaustive): IT Governance, Strategic Information Systems, IT Policies, E-commerce/E-Business, E-Government, IT Outsourcing & Cloud Computing, IT and SMEs, E-Learning, E-Health, IT Education & Workforce, IT Ethics and Islam.
1. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Murni Mahmud 2. Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr. Mira Kartiwi 3. Asst. Prof. Dr. Aznan Zuhid Saidin 4. Asst. Prof. Dr. Asma Md Ali 5. Asst. Prof. Dr. Noor Azizah K.S. Mohammadali 6. Asst. Prof. Dr. Shuhaili Talib 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Ts. Mohd Izzuddin Mohd Tamrin 8. Asst. Prof. Dr. Siti Asma Mohammed 9. Asst. Prof. Dr. Ts. Zahidah Zulkifli
10. Asst. Prof. Dr. Nurul Nuha Abdul Molok
11. Asst. Prof. Dr. Ahmad Fatzillah Misman
12. Br. Muhd Rosydi Muhammad
13. Asst. Prof. Dr. Noor Hasrul Nizan
The group is addressing the challenges in intelligent systems arising from the computational interpretation of complex data, focusing on solutions using computational modelling techniques and machine learning algorithms.
Research objectives of the research unit:
1. To advance research in Computational intelligence concepts, methods and algorithms. 2. To study, analyze and develop better computational techniques and systems through incorporating biologically based, naturally occurring and neural techniques for intelligent computing to cover a wide range of researches in Computational Intelligence including nature-inspired computing, natural language processing, genetic algorithm, swarm intelligence and Computational modelling.
1. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Amelia Ritahani Ismail
2. Prof. Dr. Imad Fakhri Al-Shaikhli
3. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Normaziah Abdul Aziz 4. Asst. Prof. Dr. Raini Hassan 5. Asst. Prof. Dr. Hamwira Sakti Yaacob 6. Asst. Prof. Dr. Norzaliza Md Nor 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Nurul Liyana Zulkufli 8. Asst. Prof. Dr. Adamu Abubakar Ibrahim
1. To be the center of excellence in the area of Software and Systems Engineering and its interdisciplinary in KICT, IIUM.
2. To provide support and research services in the field of Software and Systems Engineering that complements the academic goals of KICT.
3. To facilitate research and collaborations with other national governments and private organizations.
4. To conduct fundamental and applied research in the areas of software and systems.
5. To bridge the gap between software engineering academia and industry through development of new methodologies, techniques and tools.
1. Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr. Normi Sham Awang Abu Bakar
2. Prof. Dato’. Dr Norbik Bashah Idris 3. Asst. Prof. Dr. Azlin Nordin 4. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Lili Marziana Abdullah 5. Asst. Prof. Dr. Siti Asma Mohammed 6. Asst. Prof. Dr. Norzariyah Yahya 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Nor Azura Zakaria
1. Prof. Dato’. Dr. Norbik Bashah Idris
2. Br. Rosydi Muhammad
3. Prof. Dr. Imad Fakhri Taha Alyaseen 4. Prof. Dr. Husnayati Husain 5. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Mira Kartiwi 6. Asst. Prof. Dr. Nurul Liyana Mohamad Zulkufli 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Hazwani Mohd Mohadis 8. Asst. Prof. Dr. Nurul Nuha Abdul Molok 9. Asst. Prof. Dr. Aznan Zuhid Saidin
10. Asst. Prof. Dr. Shuhaili Talib
11. Asst. Prof. Dr. Rizal Md Nor
This research unit (RU) was established in August 2017 and approved in September 2017 under CyberSecurity Centre of Excellence. We named our research unit “Information Assurance and Security”, in line with the naming convention used in ACM and IEEE curricula for information technology (IT). Currently, we have 14 members from the Department of Information Systems and the Department of Computer Science, Kulliyyah (Faculty) of Information and Communication Technology (ICT), International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM).
According to the U.S. Department of Defense (2017), Information Assurance refers to the managerial and technical measures designed to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, availability, authenticity, and utility of information and information systems. This term, which has spread from the U.S. Government use into common parlance, is sometimes synonymous with information security. Information Assurance is a multidisciplinary area of study and professional activity which aims to protect the business by reducing risks associated with information and information systems by means of comprehensive and systematic management of security countermeasures, which is driven by risk analysis and cost-effectiveness (Cherdantseva & Hilton, 2013).
Our research unit organizes our research activities in areas within the definitions given above. To date, apart from ongoing information security research supervision and teaching and learning activities, we had organized information security research retreats, Malware Analysis training, CyberSecurity competitions and share research findings with the security industry, to name few. We look forward to doing more impactful research, to empower our students and to collaborate with the industry considering the importance of information security education, training, and awareness to everyone.
1. Prof. Dato’. Dr. Norbik Bashah Idris 2. Prof. Dr. Mohamed Ridza Wahiddin 3. Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr. Abd Rahman Ahlan 4. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Murni Mahmud 5. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Akram MZM Khedher 6. Assoc. Prof. Ts. Dr. Mira Kartiwi 7. Asst. Prof. Dr. Shuhaili Talib 8. Asst. Prof. Ts. Dr. Noor Hayani Abdul Rahim 9. Asst. Prof. Ts. Dr. Zahidah Zulkifli
10. Asst. Prof. Dr. Suhaila Samsuri
11. Asst. Prof. Siti Asma Mohammed
International Journal on Perceptive and Cognitive Computing (IJPCC)
TheInternational Journal on Perceptive and Cognitive Computing (IJPCC) is a cross-disciplinary and international archive journal aimed at disseminating results of research on the principles and theories explaining how and why computers perceive the environment and the users, on how computers simulates human's thought process, perception, learning, memory, language, motor control, problem solving and mental organization, on what and how human natural interfaces are used to interact with computers to extend what humans or computers could do, and on the design, implementation and evaluation of systems that consider perceptual and/or cognitive among the factors that influence their conception. Surveys of existing works are considered for publications when they propose a new perspective on this domain.
The journal covers but is not limited to the following topics:
Journal of Information Systems and Digital Technologies
The JISDT is an international journal promoting the study of, and interest in, Information Systems (IS) and Digital Technologies (DT). The journal will cover in depth and breadth the subject areas related to the fields of IS and digital technologies and techniques. Articles in this journal may be an outcome of latest research, practice, experience, current issues and debates related to the fields. The JISDT will encourage submission that reflect the wide and interdisciplinary nature of the subject and articles that integrate technological disciplines with social, contextual and management issues, based on research using appropriate research methods and paradigms of research and philosophies.