INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADMISSION UNIT
The general academic requirements for admission into undergraduate degree programmes of IIUM are:
- At least three (3) principal passes in the General Certificate of Education ‘Advanced Level’ (GCE) ‘A’ Level Examination (UK Educational System) obtained in one sitting; OR
- International Baccalaureate (IB) with a minimum of six (6) subjects obtained in one sitting; OR
Any other qualifications that are recognized by the Senate of the University as equivalent to the above
Applicants must also have the following subjects taken at the above mentioned examinations ('A' level, IB or any other equivalent certificates):
- Strong in Mathematics (for applicants to the undergraduate programme in all programmes offered except for Bachelor of Arabic).
- Strong in two other subjects in the intended field of study.
- The University will determine the merit and suitability of the applicant's academic grades received from home country.
- The University reserve the right to determine an alternative relevant subject to Mathematics in the case that he applicant has not taken the subject in his/her examinations.
In addition to the above qualifications, applicants for the MBBS and Pharmacy programme must also have at least three principal passes in the GCE 'A' Level examination or equivalents in Biology, Chemistry and Physics or Mathematics. At the moment the University may consider applicants for MBBS with a full scholarship from their own governments. Applicants to the undergraduate programme in Engineering must also have three principal passes including two (2) in Mathematics and Physics. The third subject may be chosen from other Science subjects which may include Additional mathematics, Chemistry or Biology.
If deemed necessary, applicants may also be required to attend an interview and/or take an entrance test conducted by the University. Applicants should note that normally there are more applications than places available at the University. The fulfillment of the minimum entrance requirements alone does not guarantee admission into the University.
Depending on the programme of study, instruction at IIUM is carried in English and/or Arabic. Applicants wishing to pursue studies in programmes taught in English must obtain:
- A score of 550 in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or
- 6.0 points in the test administrated by the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)
- If they do not have either of these qualifications, applicants may sit for the IIUM-administered English Placement Test (EPT), in which they must obtain at least 6.0 points to fulfill the requirement.
- Applicants interested in programmes taught in Arabic must obtain an exemption after sitting for the IIUM-administered Arabic Placement Test (APT).
Applicants who are unable to submit satisfactory results in any of the tests above may take up language proficiency courses at the university to fulfill the admission requirements.
In addition to the general requirements for applying to International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM), admissions requirements for these courses (Bachelor of Applied Arts and Design (B.AAD), Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (B.LA), Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning (B.URP) and Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies (BSc. Arch) require candidate to submit a sample of artwork to reflect the focused, professional nature of the curriculum.