JUDBE - Journal of Universal Design in the Built Environment
KAED Universal Design Unit (KUDU) of IIUM was formed in 2008 with the intention to promote the application of universal design in the built environment and product design, as well as to disseminate research findings through international conferences, symposiums, workshops and product competitions. KUDU also aims to improve the quality of life for the general public through promotion and implementation of universal design in the built environment. Research collaborations have also been conducted with other universities, locally and abroad.
KUDU has been organizing international conferences, symposiums and product competitions in universal design in built environment for the past 7 years; 4 International Conferences on Universal Design in the Built Environment ICUDBE) : (1st ICUDBE, 2009; 2nd ICUDBE, 2011, and 3rd ICUDBE, 2013; and 4th ICUDBE 2015); 2 Symposiums (1st Symposium, 2012 & 2nd Symposium 2014), and 6 Product Competitions (1st 2009, 2nd 2010, 3rd 2011, 4th 2012, 5th 2013 and 6th 2014 ) and Access Audit Workshop in Built Environment : 2011 until 2015, about 30 workshops were conducted throughout the country.
The papers and products of the above will be used to enhance KUDU towards the kulliyyah’s goal of making KAED as the Centre of Excellence. Towards this objective, the editorial board will put in as much effort as needed to ensure the journal will ultimately be registered with Scopus. As governments and the general public become more keenly aware of the critical issues arising from man's use of his resources, process and design, this journal provides a forum for the discussions, awareness, applications, problems and solutions of universal design and built environment around the world and for the presentation of operation and management results.
With immense pleasure, KUDU would like to present the inaugural volume of a new scholarly journal, Journal of Universal Design in the Built Environment (JUDBE). The objective of the journal is to publish up-to-date, high quality and original research paper which offers a multi-disciplinary analysis concerning universal design. This journal is created to epitomize the growing needs of research, scholarly findings and keynote papers on Universal Design as an emerging and increasingly vital field. It was noted that there is a lack of research and published body of knowledge on the subject of Universal Design in areas related to the Built Environment.
Areas of concern include, but are not exclusive to:
ii. Universal Design
iii. Green Technology
iv. Tourism and Built Environment
v. Heritage & Conservation
vi. Flood Disaster Management
vii. Product Innovation
viii. Disaster Preparedness
x. Landscape Architecture
xi. Urban Design
xii. Planning and development
VOLUME 1 ISSUE 1 2015
- UNIVERSAL DESIGN AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: TOWARDS A SUSTAINABLE BUILT ENVIRONMENT - Asiah Abdul Rahim, Naziaty Mohd Yaacob, Nur Amirah Abd. Samad, and Izawati Tukiman
- OLDER AUSTRALIAN OUT AND ABOUT IN THE GLOBAL CONTEXT: THEIR BATHROOM PREFERENCES AND WHAT THIS MEANS FOR STANDARDS DEVELOPMENT AND ACCESSIBLE TOURISM - Catherine Bridge, Alicia Mintzes and Oya Demerbilik
- EN-ABLING PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENTS. PRESCRIPTIVE AND DESCRIPTIVE APPROACHES FOR UNIVERSAL DESIGN - Hubert Froyen and Jasmien Herssens
- TOURISM FOR ALL: HOW CAN UNIVERSAL/INCLUSIVE DESIGN ACCOMMODATE SENIOR TRAVELERS? - Satoshi Kose
- THE FAMILIAR AND THE STRANGE:THE LIMITS OF UNIVERSAL DESIGN INTHE EUROPEAN CONTEXT - Jim Harrison and Cathy Dalton
- IMPLEMENTING THE KHILAFAH OF MAN ON ENVIRONMENT: SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT FOR INTERNATIONAL ISLAMIC UNIVERSITY MALAYSIA - Ismawi Zen
VOLUME 2 ISSUE 1 2016
- APPLICATION OF UNIVERSAL DESIGN IN MALAYSIA: KAED UNIVERSAL DESIGN AS RESEARCH AND TRAINING PROVIDER FOR MALAYSIA - Asiah Abdul Rahim
- THE APPLICATION OF UNIVERSAL DESIGN LEGISLATION AND STANDARDS IN MALAYSIA AND AUSTRALIA - Liyana Mohamed Yusof and David Jones
- CAMPUS LANDSCAPE ENVIRONMENT FOR STUDENT WITH DISABILITIES (SwDs) IN IIUM - Mohd Ramzi Mohd Hussain, Izawati Tukiman, Nur Bazliah Zaidi and FitryNadia Mohd Shahli
- DESIGNING PLANS FOR BICYCLE STATIONS WITH SPECIAL CONSIDERATION FOR DISABLED PATRONS - Shirin Vosoughi and Mohd Johari Mohd Yusof
- AUDITING MALAYSIAN STANDARD COMPLIANCE FOR ACCESS AND FACILITIES FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES IN LOCAL AUTHORITY BUILDINGS AND ITS SURROUNDING - Hikmah Kamarudin, Nor Rima Muhamad Ariff, Wan Zuriea Wan Ismail and Elma Dewiyana Ismail