The Department of Paediatric Dentistry is established with the principle aim to achieve maintenance oral health with a non-pharmacologic behaviour management in children and adolescent patients. The core of the course emphasizes the basic concepts and principles of paediatric dentistry patients including diagnosis and treatment planning, recognize growth and development that leads to dental health problem in children and adolescents. The course also provide students to be confident to prevent and treat oral health problems in children and adolescent patients with non-pharmacological behaviour management or able to refer to appropriate specialist.
The course will consist of lectures, seminar, preclinical and clinical demonstrations during the third year. The treatment of child and adolescent patients will be carryout during the third, fourth and fifth year. Core modules had been designed for all aspects of children and adolescents in addition to hands-on preclinical module in operative dentistry for children.
This also includes: diagnosis; treatment planning; preventive measures related to paediatric patients; patient-parent health education; pulp management in primary tooth, and delivery of care requiring non-pharmacological behaviour management. Clinical competencies of adequate standard is reflected by the achievement of the requirements. The requirements must be completed before the student can sit for the Final Professional Exam.
- To understand behaviour management in children and adolescent patients.
- To understand examination and diagnose of oral health problem in children and adolescent patients.
- To understand the evidence-basedoral health problems and treatments in children and adolescent patients.
- To interpret treatment plans for children and adolescent patients.
- To analyze early prevention of oral health problems in children and adolescent patients.
- To apply dental clinical procedure for children and adolescent patients.
- To apply non-pharmacological behavior during the treatment of patient.