Harun M. Hashim Law Centre with like minded partners has embarked on scholarship activities in promoting better understanding of the legal system of the Southeast Asia in particular and the world in general. Following the successful pioneering ICLAS conference co-organised by Harun M. Hashim Law Centre and the Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogjakarta, Indonesia, Harun M. Hashim Law Centre will host the second International Conference on Law and Society (ICLAS II) to be held in the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) in Kuala Lumpur, from 18 to 19 September 2013.
CALL FOR PAPERS
The conference would like to examine the legal history of the legal system within the Southeast Asia region in particular and others in general. Among the questions that the conference seeks to answer regarding countries legal system are the origin and basis of the legal system; development of legal, political and religious institutions and the evolution of the judicial system. The conference also invites presenters to answer questions regarding the role of religions in the development of legal systems. In line with the conference theme "Discovering the Past in Charting the Future", it is hope that the papers will answer the question on the legal history and also will look at the possible future scenarios relating to the evolution and development of a legal system.
To this end, proposals for papers are invited on any of the following topics:
1. origin and basis of a legal system
2. legal transplant, legal culture, colonialism and globalization
3. legal history and legal development of a state’s
a) territory, boundary and sovereignty
b) kingship and monarchy
c) subject and citizenship
d) constitution and basic law
e) legal profession
f) judicial system
g) legal education
h) religious and legal institutions
i) law reporting
j) criminal law and criminal justice
k) land law and administration
4. Other topics related to the conference theme.
The organiser encourages the participation of all persons interested in legal history from all over the world and in particular from the Southeast Asia, whether established or junior scholars, academics or practitioners, government officials and NGO officers, by inviting applications as paper presenters and participants. Papers may provide an Asian perspective and/or international/comparative approaches on these topics.
1. A 250-word abstract of the proposed paper.
Format for the Abstract
- Title of paper in Arial 14 point Bold Title Case (first letter of each main word capitalized)
- Author name in Arial 12 point
- Affiliation and full address in Arial 12 point italics
- Presenting author (with e-mail address) clearly indicated with an asterisk symbol
- Content/body text (not exceeding 250 words) in one paragraph only in Arial 12 point
- objectives of study, methodology, main results and principal conclusions clearly stated
- No abbreviations and references
- 5 Keywords
2. Brief biography including affiliation details, professional status, educational background, institutional affiliation, office address, telephone number, and e-mail address. Please also provide any information about presentations given, publications, and any other relevant information about your research experience.
In addition to paper proposals, proposals for panels will also be considered. A panel should address a topical issue of legal history and consist of 3-4 speakers.
The full paper should be written in English or in Malay using Microsoft Word. The text should be in Arial font size 12. It should consist of the following items arranged in the following order:
Title (Bold, Arial font size12, in capital letters and centred)
Full name and address of author and their affiliation (Arial font size 12, centred)
References should be cited in the footnote (Arial font size 10).
Abstracts and full papers may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected papers will be published in Impact Factor journals or refereed journals which shall be identified by the organiser (subject to a fee).(Publication fees : ISI USD250; SCOPUS USD150)
Submitted papers must not be under consideration for publication by any other journals or publishers.
LANGUAGES OF THE CONFERENCE
The languages of the conference are English and Malay.
The organiser does not provide any sponsorship or financial assistance. The travelling and related costs are the responsibility of the presenter.
- Due date for abstract submission : 24th July 2013 (Extended)
- Notification of acceptance : 29th July 2013 (3rd round abstract submission)
- Due date for full paper : 30th August 2013
Registration fee is per person and paper. Each paper must have separately paid Principal Presenter or Main Presenter. Please fill in separate registration form if you will be presenting more than 1 paper
Conference fees : RM500; USD160
Co - Presenters (An attending Co-Authors) : RM300; USD110
Participant (Not a Presenter) : RM300; USD110
Postgraduate Students (As the Main Author or a Co- Author or a Participant) : RM100; USD40 (all universities)
* Student Rate: To qualify for the student rate you must be a FULL TIME student at the time of the conference and student ID is required for verification upon registration.
Registration fee must be paid in advance of the event. Walk-in delegates, with payments will be admitted on space availability basis.
Only papers with full registration fees will appear in the conference proceeding. During the registration day, please bring along your registration fee payment documentations.
Local : RM500
International : USD160
The conference fee includes conference material and refreshments.
Payment can be made by the following methods:-
- Malaysian delegates may pay in RINGGIT MALAYSIA (RM) by local cheque or local order
- Telegraphic Transfer (T.T) to the following:
Account Name : LAW CENTRE, IIUM
Account No : 1407-0000010-71-0
Bank Name : Bank Muamalat Malaysia Berhad
Bank Address : International Islamic University Malaysia, P.O. Box 10, 50728, Kuala Lumpur
SWIFT Code : BMMB MYKL
- Please fax the proof to the Conference Secretariat
- Please note that all related bank charges and financial charges are to be borne by the delegates and are not to be deducted from the fees payable to the Organizer.
- Registration is confirmed only upon receipt of the registration fee.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
If you are unable to attend the Conference, a substitute is welcome at no extra charge. Please provide the name of the substitute delegate not later than 5 days from the date of the event. All cancellation must be notified in writing to the Conference Secretariat.
Refunds will be made after the Conference.
- Cancellation on or before 02nd September 2013– FULL REFUND minus RM50 as the administrative charges and any other charges incurred from the wire transfer (if any)
- Cancellation on or before 09th September 2013– 50% REFUND minus charges incurred from the wire transfer (if any)
- Cancellation after 09th September 2013– NO REFUND
International Conference on Law and Society (ICLAS II)
Harun M. Hashim Law Centre
International Islamic University Malaysia
Tel. No: 603-61964241/4275
Fax No: 603-61964298
Email: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org