The students’ residential colleges in IIUM are also known as Mahallah, which is Arabic for ‘neighbourhood’. IIUM’s mahallahs are self-contained not only with services but also activities, and are named after the leading companions of the Prophet s.a.w and the female Mujahidah and Syuhada.
Since the early years of its establishment, IIUM has practiced 100% accommodation for its full time undergraduate students. For postgraduate students, accommodation is provided based on availability of rooms. Priority is given to the non-Malaysian students, especially students from the newest intake.
Currently, IIUM has 16 mahallahs that accommodate about 14,000 students from various countries and cultures. Each mahallah is lead by a Principal and assisted by administrative staff and fellows. The staff concentrates on the administrative and maintenance needs of the mahallah, while the fellows focus on students' matters and activities.
- Specifically catered for postgraduate students who are considered matured and require more privacy
- Undergraduate students may also apply if vacancies are available,
- Rental rate for IIUM students is RM 7.00/day/person
4 person-sharing Room
- The room accommodates four students in a compartmentalized unit. Although the four students are sharing a common door to the unit, each student is actually has his own private space/compartment for the sake of privacy.
- Each compartment is provided with a single bed, study table and chair, cupboard, bookshelf or bookrack
- Rental rate for IIUM students is RM 3.50/day/person
Elite Room (for male and female students)
Standard room (RM510/ month)
- attached bathroom with hot shower
- air conditioning
- standard bedroom set
- single sofa & coffee table
pantry & coin operated laundry (common facilities)
Note: Quoted rental rate excludes electricity charges.
Upgraded room (RM600/month)
Adds to the existing room:
- TV, Mini refrigerator
- bedding set / duvet & bed sheet
- electric kettle
- drinking set
- pantry & coin operated laundry (common facilities)