Sports and Recreational Centre
In 1991, the roles of Sports unit was more demanding when IIUM in-directly involved with World University Sports Federation (FISU), Asean University Sports Federation (AUSF) and Asean University Sports Council (AUSC).
For the past seven years, the nomenclature of IIUM Sports Centre has evolved as follows:-
* 2000 until 2001 - Sports, Recreational and Martial Arts Department.
* 2002 – Sports Department, Student Affairs Division.
* 2003 – Sports Unit, Operational Services, Student Development and Co-curricular Division
* 2004 until July 2007 – Sports Centre, Student Development Division.
* July 2007 – present – Sports and Recreational Centre
The primary purpose of the Sports and Recreational Centre is to provide opportunities for students to pursue an athletic and recreational interest.
The focus of the Centre program blends the aspect of learning new skills while coordinate all sports programmes, monitoring the progress of sports development and supervising the maintenance of the sports venues and facilities in the university.
The Sports and Recreational Centre incorporates the concept that all students and IIUM Community are provided the opportunity to experience sports activities related to their needs.
The roles of the Centre is to provide guidance, supervision and encouragement to all students and staff to actively participate in sports activities.