Master of Science in Islamic Banking and Finance (MQA/FA6270)
The IIUM INSTITUTE OF ISLAMIC BANKING AND FINANCE (IIiBF) provides internationally recognized programmes catering for your various needs. A centre of excellence within the world renowned International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM), the IIiBF built on a prominent faculty drawn from a pool of leading industry practitioners as well as experts from three different faculties of IIUM, namely the Kulliyyah of Economics and Management Sciences (KENMS), Ahmad Ibrahim Kulliyyah of Laws (AIKOL) and the Kulliyyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences (KIRKHS). Our programmes are imbued with high ethical values, rigorous scholarship and practical relevance. In tandem with their research activities, our faculty members act as consultants and shariah advisors to financial institutions, industry and governments worldwide–hence, keeping our programmes abreast with real world financial and economic developments and issues.
- To produce high potential talents to acquire pertinent knowledge and skills in Islamic Banking and Finance through interdisciplinary approach
- To develop and enhance theories and practices of Islamic Banking and Finance within the sphere of Maqasid Al-Shariah
- To meet the global demand for experts and professionals in Islamic Banking and Finance
- Islamic Commercial Law.
- Islamic Investment Banking.
- Regulatory and Governance in Islamic Finance.
- Islamic Capital Markets and Instruments.
- Islamic Wealth Management and Takaful.
- Islamic Social Finance.
- Islamic Management.
- Accounting and Auditing for Islamic Financial Institutions.
- Waqf & Zakat.
- Philosophical Foundation of Islamic Banking & Finance.
* Subject to availability of supervisors
Mode of Programme
|36 credit hours of coursework + 6 credit hours of research paper = 42 credit hours
(7 core courses and 5 elective courses + 6 credit hours of research paper)
|30 credit hours of coursework + 12 credit hours of dissertation = 42 credit hours
(7 core courses and 3 elective courses + 12 credit hours of dissertation)
Duration of Studies
|1 1/2 academic years
|2 academic years
|3 academic years
|2 academic years
|4 academic years
|5 academic years
|Islamic Financial System
|Transactions in Islamic Banking and Finance
|Financial Management Analysis
|Islamic Banking Products and Operations
|Islamic Capital Market
|Risk Management of Islamic Financial Institutions
|Takaful and Re-Takaful
|Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence
|Ethics and Governance of Islamic Financial Institutions
|Accounting for Islamic Financial Institutions
|Legal Framework and Issues in Islamic Banking and Finance
|Islamic Wealth Management
|Waqf and Islamic Finance
|Zakat for Social Financing
|Issues in Islamic Banking and Finance
IIiBF shall prescribe required pre-requisite courses for applicants without adequate background in
|Money and Banking
|Principles of Economics
|Business Mathematics and Statistics
|Principles of Accounting and Finance
|Islamic Commercial Law
Research Paper / Dissertation
After completing all the courses, students will proceed with research paper / dissertation before the can graduate. the research paper / dissertation proposal will be developed in their IBF 6910 Research Methodology. Once the have presented their research paper / dissertation proposal and the proposal is subsequently approved by the Postgraduate Committee, they may proceed with their research under the supervision if the assigned supervisor(s).
A relevant Bachelor's degree with good grades from an accredited institution of higher learning or any other certificates recognised to be equivalent to a Bachelor's degree and with relevant professional experience.
In addition to the Institute's requirements, an applicant must produce satisfactory proof of proficiency of English Language by:
- The Test of Foriegn Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550OR
- The International English Language Testing Services (IELTS) with a score of 6.0 OR
- The IIUM-administered English Placement Test (EPT) with a minimum score 6.0.
|Find Out More About:
|Fund & Scholarships
|Other Links:Life in IIUM
|About IIUM Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance